The first session of what looks to be a new B/X campaign was held over skype last night. I know I had a great time. The party consisted of:
- Ellos the Seer (player Mike D.) who has Sleep and Read Magic
- Sancho Peatfingers (Meepo) who is a 2nd level Halfling
- Diomedes, Adept of Bar'ralalaakk, the Toad Lord (JB)
The part began investigating an ancient dwarven stronghold hidden behind a waterfall in search of a rumoured powerful artifact.
They overcame a small tribe of kobolds, a swarm of centipedes that emerged from an old latrine and a giant spider that pounced on Diomedes.
They found 3,000 cp, 100 gp, a copper mask with clear crystals set for eye pieces, scrolls of Invisibility 10' radius and Dispel Magic and some clues about the history of the stronghold and the artifact.
1. People - everyone got along really well. It was fun to play/BS with other people who knowledgeable and appreciate B/X.
2. Skype - we got a good connection and there were no drops.
3. Gametable - Once Mike D. got the thing working it complemented skype very well. I didn't have any pre-loaded maps and we didn't use it for 3.5 or 4E-style tactical combat but it was nice to have a quick and easy means to visually indicate room layouts and general positioning.
4. I am using the first part of the Doomstones campaign for WFRP as my starting premise. The general background and the dungeon map were taken from their and then I re-did it for B/X. The tone/style of Doomstones is easy to import into D&D as it was originally a D&D campaign that was converted to WFRP.
5. The party did not use a "caller". There was only 3 of them so there wasn't a lot of talking over each other on skype and it was pretty easy to come to a quick consensus.
6. I just parachuted the party to the dungeon entrance. This worked okay given the time constraints and the nature of the game. Eventually, I may have to flesh out a "home base".
7. It looks like the adventure will continue. Nothing concrete scheduled but there was a lot of talk about "next time".
8. There is room for a couple more players. If you are interested in participating send me an email at p_armstrong[at]email[dot]com.
Edit: 9. You can check out a blog I set up for the game at http://onlinebx.blogspot.com/ for some of the discussion.
10. I can see myself becoming a skype gaming junkie - anyone want to play Barbarians of Lemuria or Tunnels & Trolls?