"Black Dougal gasps 'Poison!' and falls to the floor. He looks dead."

Monday, August 10, 2009

Things I find interesting today

1. The Positioning Roll in Agon - Maybe in reaction to all of the 5-ft squares in the 4E game from a while ago, I have been reading about abstract alternatives for battlemaps. B/X of course uses an abstract combat system and I find it really is my preference to go that route. One of the most interesting abstract systems I have seen is Positioning in Agon. You can find out more about Agon at http://www.agon-rpg.com/ and there is a preview pdf as well. The positioning roll is like initiative. Opponents jockey for position on an abstract battlefield trying to get enemies into the most effective range for their weapons (the swordsman wants to get in close, the archer wants to keep opponents away, etc). Since you can reposition yourself or anyone who rolled lower than you each round (friend or foe) you get some interesting group tactics. It scratches my abstract combat and gameist itches.

2. The plans of my players in the Skype B/X game - you can follow along at Online B/X.

3. Running a Thundarr the Barbarian game using Gamma Trollworld.

6 comments:

  1. 1). Skyrealms of Jorune had the Advantage roll, years prior, and did all that, and more.

    2). :D

    3). Ooh, let me know how it is. I've thought about purchasing it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey - did you pick up Gamma Trollworld? If so, what do you think of it?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Big fan of Agon. One of my players is playtesting a Ghost in the Shell hack called A:/GON

    It's pretty sweet sounding.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow…Gamma Trollworld is new to me, and I loves me my post-apocalyptic games. I might need to pick up a copy.

    (there was a Thundarr version of Over The Edge published on-line, “Under the Broken Moon,” or something. A nice little resource ifyou’re into OTE’s game system)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for the tip on the existence of Gamma Trollworld!

    ReplyDelete